Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Introduction Post and First Topic: Possible Food Stamp Fraud by WalMart and Safeway

First off let me introduce myself. My name is Nathan and I live in Washington State. The name of this blog reflects the fact that I do not usually take the same positions politically of the party I consider myself more compatible with. I don't even agree with the Church leadership sometimes. I also don't fit in very well in social situations with many of the people in the area where I live.

But enough about me for now. Let me move on to the first thing I wanted to write about on here.

For the last couple of weeks Safeway has been advertising in the Newspaper and on TV their new lower prices. WalMart has been mentioning that their prices will be lowered as the holidays get nearer. This has got me thinking about the Food Stamp program. I should admit right now that I have not used Food Stamps myself though I know people around who did or maybe still use them. I am not sure that Food Stamps are good for a certain item or if they have a value to them like money. But for this post I will assume they are worth something like money.

Now if WalMart and Safeway are intentionally lowering their prices in time for the holidays and they surely must honor food stamps, then to me this sounds like defrauding the government. WalMart and Safeway are then deciding what the food stamps are worth and not Uncle Sam.

Now I know Fred Meyer has done something similar to this in their Meat Dept. earlier this year, but I don't believe they did it during the holidays to boost holiday sales like the two above and it only affected one department of the store instead of the entire store.

In fact, my last visit to Fred Meyer was a little surprising because they raised prices on Milk, and their Ice Cream. So it appears that WalMart and Safeway are the two that are the worst offenders of this possible kind of Food Stamp Fraud. Anyone who agrees or disagrees with me? I would like to hear from others to find out if I am alone on this view.

No comments:

Post a Comment